The Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, in partnership with the School of Family and Child Studies, offers a 12-hour Graduate Certificate in the Dynamics of Domestic and Family Violence. The certificate is an online program designed to foster the development of requisite skills and knowledge related to domestic violence issues or have contact with victims, families, or perpetrators of domestic violence. Students are required to complete the following four web-based graduate courses: PSYC 511 and PSYC 556; FCS 521, and FCS 571. Students are required to register for EDCI 598: Certificate Completion before the deadline for registration in the quarter they are scheduled to complete their final certificate course. Substitution of coursework is accepted if pre-approved by adviser, department head, and director of graduate studies.
- Identify the impact of domestic violence on children and families.
- Demonstrate understanding of the relationship of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and domestic violence.
- Define domestic violence and describe the context of violent behavior and patterns of coercive control.
- Demonstrate understanding of domestic violence and the law.
- Describe available community resources for victims of domestic violence.
- Identify ethical considerations in working with victims of domestic violence.
- Examine diversity and cultural implications of domestic violence.
How are we different?
Graduates of this certificate program can fast-track their status as a clinician, social worker, educator, etc. in the helping field. Their expertise has the potential to make them more desirable as a job candidate within this specific subject matter because of their in-depth knowledge.
Cost and Aid
Just like on-campus students, Tech Online students may be eligible for admission, departmental, or private scholarships. Louisiana residents may also be eligible for the Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS) scholarships awarded by the State of Louisiana. For more information about scholarships, please visit the Office of Financial Aid website.
The Tech Online program is very unique in that there is flat fee per credit hour. There are no additional fees.
Graduate programs cost $475 per credit hour.
This field is closely associated with those providing mental and behavioral health care to individuals and families.
- Child Welfare